Arts, Culture and Transportation: A Creative Placemaking Field Scan
Arts, Culture and Transportation: A Creative Placemaking Field Scan is a rigorous national examination of creative placemaking in the transportation planning process. Released by Transportation for America in partnership with ArtPlace America, this resource identifies ways that transportation professionals can integrate artists to deliver transportation projects more smoothly, improve safety, and build community support.
This field scan explores seven of the most pressing challenges facing the transportation sector today, identifies how arts and culture contribute to solutions, and offers case studies from diverse community contexts:
- Generating creative solutions for entrenched transportation projects
- Making streets safer for all users
- Organizing transportation advocates
- Engaging multiple stakeholders for an inclusive process
- Fostering local ownership
- Alleviating the disruptive effects of construction
- Healing wounds and divisions
This field scan was also the original source of seven of the eight approaches that are used to organize all of the content on the Scenic Route, with the addition of an eighth on COVID-19 in 2021.
The field scan was made possible with support from ArtPlace America.
Additional Field Scan resources:
Report: Arts, Culture, and Transportation: A Creative Placemaking Field Scan